\

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Fiberlicious

Fiber is an important part of any healthy diet but it can be especially beneficial to a person with diabetes. Blah, blah, blah...don't fall asleep on me just yet! It gets crazy interesting in a minute...we'll do some math!  I spent this afternoon reading up on fiber articles, from websites like MedlinePlus, the ADA, and several in-between. Fiber is not digested as it goes through our bodies, so having a higher dosage of it in the carbohydrates we're eating is a big plus. You aren't adding sugar to your bloodstream, or any of your other 2,000 parts, if you aren't digesting it!

Of course the recommendation of all these healthy life promoting websites is to obtain your fiber naturally, in your food, rather than through a supplement. No shock there.  Nice thing these days, especially if you have a busy lifestyle, is they are adding fiber to everything from single serving applesauce to yogurt to artificial sweetners. Seriously, I bought applesauce with extra fiber...it was tasty, too.  Not to mention the foods that already have a lot of fiber to which they are adding MORE fiber! Remember that double fiber bread?  It's pretty good by the way, a bit drier than average, but not enough to worry about. Well, Bunny Bread it ain't and the Wonder Bread folks are perfectly safe, too, but it really is edible.

The 'best' fiber count, according to all these fine professionals, is a serving of food that has 5 or more grams of fiber in it. 2+ up to 5 grams is considered 'good'. Most breads (the ones I've been stalking in the grocery store), contain 2-3, some 4...you have to go looking for those 5's and better. See, I told you there was math! The level of fiber affects how you count the carbohydrates, too, as a diabetic. Far too much information to re-type here (and even more math...some dividing and subtracting...*gasp*), so I'm adding a link at the bottom for you to go read all about carbs, which includes fiber and what you want to know. It's riveting reading...I swear! And there's no pop quiz to follow, aren't I sweet?! Of course I am, that's how I got here in the first place!

Now if I can just figure out how to get more fiber in my Snickers...

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/carbohydrates.html

1 comment: